Thursday, January 25, 2007

Miniz Problems and Voltage Comparison

Last night I decided to take out my Miniz racer and decided to take it for a run around the house... To my horror, it stopped working, just like it did before... no motor movements, no steering movements (the first time it stopped working was when I installed a FET upgrade to it (2x3 of FET 7389) but it started working again 3 years later without me fixing it).

I took the thing apart and found that the negative battery has snapped off and the negative servo wire has snapped off too.. strange I thought.. on closer examination, it turned out that the wires has become brittle from heat generated by the electronics. I don't know the cause of the excessive heat, but I didn't really want to know anyway...


I replaced all the faulty wires on the board and put the batteries back in and viola, it started to work again...

My girlfriend asked me which miniz's out of the three that I have was the fastest one.. my natural answer was the one with the FET upgrade (the Subaru body)... Then I decided to experiment and find out which pushed more voltage to the motor...

The Miniz's
Subaru WRX
FET upgrade (2x3 7389 plus the stock FETs)
and other various hop ups
MR01 chassis

Ferrari F40 - Japanese electronics
Stock car
MR01 chassis

Initial D Toyota Trueno AE86 - Japanese electronics (I am guessing)
Stock car
MR015 chassis

As it turns out, the Trueno gave 5 volts to the motor, WRX gave 4.81 volts to the motor and F40 gave 4.79 volts... Keeping in mind that I bought the F40 and WRX at about the same time, I was actually quite shocked to see that the electronics of the WRX and F40 gave about the same voltage. Whats more shocking is that the Trueno I bought recently, gave more voltage than the other two miniz's...

I do remember when I first compared the WRX (before upgrading) and F40 years ago, the WRX was noticeably slower then the F40...

It seems the Japanese have the better electronics right out of the box... but more experimentation is need to conclude this...

No comments: