Sunday, October 14, 2007

Brunei, Day 2

There is no order in Brunei. I'd thought that I wake up early to queue up and see the Sultan, but that didn't go according to plan. Luckily the taxi driver asked one of the cops what time the queue started, but the cop said I couldn't go in because I wasn't properly dressed. So I went back to the hotel, and put jeans and a shirt on. That is crazy.

When I finally got to the queue, it all seemed good some order not much pushing, but then all of a sudden everyone started pushing forwards! What! There was no queue, it was a matter of who can push who aside! Luckily, I had experience in situations like this and shoved everyone off. haha!

Once in, it was an amazing palace, the 2 rooms I saw. The first hall is a massive place where they served us food for free. It was all very nice food too and I am guessing its a selection of tradition Brunei cuisines, but I can tell you its not healthy. Lots of deep fried stuff, but what the hell, I have sweat so much that I needed it and I was enjoying it, but that is when it all changed.



I am a fairly fast eater and finished my plat of food in record time and went to the next queue. This queue was the worse in the world! They make you wait until the entire army, air force and navy, over 10000 of them, have gone to see the Sultan before they let you see him. This in itself is a 5 hour wait! Lesson learnt, do not go on the first day.

Once the military finally finished filtering through and as they let more citizen through. They didn't follow the order any more. They just let all the people at the back of the queue go first, what the hell is going on here! The cops can't even get it right, no wonder why these people push and shove.

Alright once I got to the next room, which I might add is absolutely amazing, there is another queue. When I got there the military just finished leaving that room, and it took 45mins from the last military to leave the last room before I entered the next. I thought, this must be the dumbest system I have ever seen. The crap thing is I had to check out at the hotel at 2pm and it took one hour to get back. So I left after only seen that one room. So no, I didn't get to shake hands with the Sultan.





On the way out, I had to walk all the way around and queue up to leave! What crap is that! They made you accept a present from them and that took another 30mins. I was like, I don't care about it, just let me leave damn it! The answer was no. AARRGGHH!!

Summary of Brunei, its the most boring place I've been to. No clubs, alcohol is banned, shops close heaps early, and the capital is smaller then Woden.

If I ever go back, it will be straight to the rain forest!

No comments: